Adding herbs to food isn’t just something that we humans can enjoy. Our pets can also benefit from herbs in terms of aroma, flavor, and even nutrients. Read on to learn more about how herbs can make your pet’s meal better, especially with herbs harvested from New Zealand.
Boosts flavor and appetite
If you want to add flavor and freshness to your pet’s meal, try herbs. Herbs are the leafy parts of plants that are used not as vegetables, but as a seasoning. These greens serve as great flavor enhancers and can help make any dish more delicious without using extra fat and salt.
Aside from flavor, herbs provide a pleasant smell to your pet’s meal. Because our pets have a keen sense of smell, aroma plays a role in keeping our pets interested in their food. So if you’re living with a picky feline or canine, try adding herbs to their diet to help stimulate their appetite. Or for a more convenient option, you may choose a gourmet pet food with herbs on the ingredients list, like Wishbone!
More than just a flavorful garnish, herbs are packed with nutrients. A lot of herbal superfoods, or super herbs, are safe and beneficial for our pet’s health, too. Some of these are:
- Basil, an excellent source of vitamin C, calcium, iron, and potassium. Basil can help calm anxiety, prevent cellular damage, and ease arthritis pain due to its antioxidant, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Rosemary, a wonderfully fragrant herb that can help improve digestion and help fight infections due to its antibacterial, antifungal, and antiseptic properties.
- Peppermint, a cooling herb that can soothe an upset stomach, reduce gas, relax the digestive tract during digestion, and can also help freshen your pet’s breath.
- Thyme, a good source of dietary fiber, antioxidants, and vitamins A and C. Thymol, an active component naturally found in thyme, helps inhibit fungal and bacterial growth.
- Oregano, a pungent herb rich in vitamins A, C, and K. Oregano helps fight arthritis by alleviating pain and improving joint movements.
- Chamomile, a soothing herb that helps calm the nerves, relax the digestive tract, reduce bloating, and ease anxiety.
Give your pets the best of New Zealand
Because pets are family, we always want what’s best for them. We strive to create healthy and appetite-stimulating pet food using an all-natural approach: gourmet herbs. That’s why at Wishbone, we only source our herbs from our trusted growers in New Zealand.
New Zealand grows some of the world’s tastiest and healthiest produce and herbs. Thanks to Horticulture New Zealand (HortNZ), every grower is encouraged to meet both local and global farming standards.
For a grower to sell his produce, he should earn certification from the Good Agricultural Practice (GAP) industry assurance program. This helps ensure that every grower in New Zealand follows food safety, sustainable farming, and good social practice. All these efforts contribute to the natural and healthy herbs, fruits, and vegetables that we use in Wishbone’s gourmet recipes.
And like our herbs, we use the best free-range, New Zealand-sourced meats in all our recipes. Your pets will love the meaty aroma, accented with the enticing fragrances of gourmet herbs, in every bag of Wishbone.